Monday, July 9, 2012

Not cynical

Sometimes I want to voice my darkest thoughts about the people I drive. They're not my only thoughts. I love the people I deal with. I couldn't do this if I didn't love them. That's something I love about the people I work with. They really care about the people who come to them. They use the word "we" a lot. I can't separate myself from the people I drive and do what I do. I don't have to act like them but I have to know that I am still them.

Let me tell you something. When I was growing up the entire point of life in my family was figuring out who was to blame. It was absolutely crucial that someone be made wrong so that everyone else could feel right. More than once I was told, "You're not one of us." because I had committed some minor infraction. The book of rules was infinite and infinitely mysterious. You never knew you'd crossed a line until you got hit in the head. Anything you did wrong marked you as separated out and despised.

It is such a fucking relief to be with people and say things to them like, "I know how that feels".

4 comments:

  1. You, my friend, are the Sid Vicious of steering wheels. About time you gave me a reason to delete your old blog from my FMs. I'll replace it with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beer. You're still my favorite blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you will compile these all into a book someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, I like this. You're a good egg.

    ReplyDelete