Sunday, July 8, 2012

Families

Sometimes the client has no family. Sometimes the family is all about boundaries. They make the client open the door. They make the client carry her own luggage. They stand in the doorway and say goodbye.

Two weeks ago I picked up a pleasant, quiet young alcoholic man. I couldn't find a place to park because there were cars all down his block. It turns out his entire family was there to send him off. I met his wife, his parents, his in laws, his nieces and nephews. They all wanted to shake my hand and ask me about myself. Was I a counselor? Would we be talking about recovery on the ride to the facility? Did I like my job?

I'm going to tell you the truth. I couldn't help but wonder how this guy turned out to be such a terrible drunk with all of those people fussing over him. Did they have a part in it? He comes from a working class family but he lives like a little prince. He's always sick and needs dozens of pills to get through the day. He's barely thirty and he uses oxygen from a machine. He is on disability but his wife buys him designer clothes. He spent his time sitting around, being nursed and drinking vodka.

He's an awfully nice fellow; very friendly and helpful to other people in treatment. I wonder what's going on even though it's none of my business. His family is really different from mine. I wonder how his family works.

No comments:

Post a Comment