Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What I do

I had something happen to me and I quit drinking. Not only that, I started trying to talk to other people who were having trouble quitting drinking. I don't care if someone is enjoying drinking. Most people who drink like to drink and don't have much trouble because of it. Some of us can't seem to control our drinking even when it causes us nothing but trouble.

Anyhow, something happened. I changed in a lot of ways that still surprise me. I try to talk about it sometimes. It's hard, because the only way to talk about is to use the language of religion. I'm quite certain that whatever people are talking about when they talk about God or Gods they are talking about whatever it was that happened to me. I only know about one religion. I don't think it's the right religion. I don't think anybody else's religion is the wrong religion. I mean, I disagree with a lot of religious people but I'm not in this thing to see who is right or wrong.

So, I'm trying to talk about what happened. I sound religious when I do it. I have mixed feelings about that. Sometimes I think I should try going to church more often, really acting like a religious guy, you know? The thing is that, most of the time church is kind of boring and I feel out of place.

At the same time, people are accusing me of being some kind of religious fanatic. I did, after all, use some of the same words that religious fanatics use so I must be in the same class of people as them.

Fuck.

Really, what I do is I drive people around and talk to them a bit and listen to them a bit. Mostly, I drive them around. In one form or another, I've been doing this for my entire adult life. I've tried other stuff, but I'm pretty good at this. I think, in some ways, that I got better at it after I sobered up. I got older. I have to worry about taking care of myself more but I pay more attention and listen better so I am pretty good at driving drunks and drug addicts around.

So really, what I think is, regarding the God thing, I should drive people around to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment